Wednesday, April 6, 2011

For The Love Of Lace.

So I know I've already posted today, but I went shopping and had to share with you just what I bought.
I'm getting closer and closer to quite a special date: Friday the 13th of May (unlucky sounding, I know).

It is special for the singular reason that Friday the 13th is the day of my Grade 10 dance, about which I am immensely excited. 

Preparation for a dance is a much lengthier process than I would have previously thought.
There are multiple things to consider:
1. The most important. The sole purpose of a dance (for a girl)...the dress.
2. A close second. The shoes, which can make or break the outfit.
3. The accessories. DO NOT go over the top.
4. The bag. Sling bag? Clutch purse?
5. The hair. Natural? Curled?
6. The make-up. Good makeup makes for good photographs.
7. The partner. Ah, the ever-stressful search for the perfect partner.

After several shopping sprees on the hunt for the perfect dress. Long street shopping, (A-List is by far the best shop down there; I suggest a visit), Kalk Bay shopping, (Frankie's Vintage Chic is an adorable boutique), Cape Quarter shopping, (limited shops, but one or two beautiful things). I decided to not even attempt to go to Cavendish - too easy. I had a funny feeling that too many girls would be getting their dresses from there. (Wardrobe, The Lot, YDE, Chica-Loca). 

So, yesterday I made it my mission to go out to Canal Walk and have a full day of searching. Starting off in Forever New, I found a gorgeous white lace long-sleeved dress, which fitted alright (although I had to ask the shop assistant to take the size 6 off the mannequin to try on - embarrassing! It would need alterations though, so I decided against it. Went into several other boutiques, which all ended up being filled with typical taffeta and tulle dresses with sequins and sparkles (NOT my thing), so I resorted to YDE, which I had insisted I wouldn't buy a dress from, since they're quite easy to come by usually. 

Tried on a Grecian inspired dress which was too big, and a lace sleeveless which wasn't right for the occasion but which was quite exquisite I must admit.

I had given up when I spied a gorgeous ivory-coloured, three-quarter sleeved, lace dress, which ended up fitting perfectly, and which I bought. I adore it :) The line in YDE is 'X&O Everywear', though thankfully this was the only dress in my size - meant to be! At the moment I'm thinking about nude pumps for the heels and a long statement necklace. And I'm getting my makeup done by MAC so I'm ecstatic! Below are some pictures feel free to comment on how you think I should accessorize it and what shoes I should wear, how my hair should be done, etc. I would love to hear :) 



- Pips x

No comments:

Post a Comment